Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

November 11, 2015

Lest We Forget: Military Heroes in My Family

Remembering my military ancestors today. 




The collage above shows my father Lt. Cecil McGinnis, his brother Clare, my grand-uncles Edgar Peer, Syd Simpson, Ernie Simpson and my cousin 4x removed Charles Vollick.

But I have more military heroes in my family - My paternal grandmother's five brothers (George, Herbert, Chester, Leonard and Edgar Peer), all enlisted in WW1. Edgar Peer was killed in France a few days short of his 21st birthday.

My maternal grandmother's two brothers Ernest and Sydney  Simpson  enlisted in WW1 in England and in Canada, and her brother Albert enlisted in the Australian Army in WW2.


Albert's son Frank, my first cousin once removed,  enlisted in the Australian Army in WW2


My Loyalist ancestors - my 5th great-grandfather Isaac Van Valkenburg aka Vollick, his sons Storm Follick and Cornelius Vollick (my 4th great-grandfather); and another 5th great-grandfather Jonas Larroway all of whom fought in Butler's Rangers during the American Revolution


My 3rd great-granduncle Stephen Peer  fought in the War of 1812 and was killed at the Battle of Chippewa in 1814 



LEST WE FORGET

No comments: